Gift this class
Natural Dyeing at Home
There are many colours waiting to be unlocked from our kitchen scraps and garden, join Roz from Be Kind Textiles to learn simple techniques that you can utilise to dye your own fabric and fibres even if you don’t have much space! We will run through the minimal equipment you need, safety, mordanting, colour fastness, fibre care and dye sources. We will make our own mini natural indigo vat and also learn some Shibori resist dyeing methods to pattern your fabric! What you will get: Information sheet, your own naturally dyed paper, fabric & yarn samples. A solar dye jar to take home.
Optional: Bring a small amount (100g) of new or second-hand yarn or fabric (natural fibres only) that you want to dye or re-dye, plus any old Med-Lrg glass jar with a lid (if you have any).
This workshop is part of the Festival of Natural Dyes - Celebrating plant-based colour in textiles. A program of classes, exhibitions and workshops in and around Melbourne for curious and botanical minds.
- How to harvest colours to dye fibres from your kitchen scraps and garden
- Mordanting techniques and safety
- About indigo dyeing at home
- Fabric, fibre and paper samples that you have naturally dyed during the class
- A mini natural indigo vat in a jar to take home
- Afternoon tea
- Optional: Bring a small amount (100g) of new or second-hand yarn or fabric (natural fibres only) that you want to dye or re-dye, plus any old Med-Lrg glass jar with a lid (if you have any).
- Optional: A light lunch, there are cafes walking distance during the break (afternoon tea is provided)
Casual (Warning: this might get messy)
Open to everyone interested!